Sunday, October 2, 2011

Marish Monday

Let's look at the Wikipedia entry on mares. I find it rather humorous that even Wikipedia defines them as being a bit . . . marish. 

"Mares are considered easier to handle than stallions. However, geldings have no hormone-driven behavior patterns at all, thus sometimes they are preferred to both mares and stallions. Mares have a notorious, if generally undeserved, reputation for being "marish," meaning that they can be cranky or unwilling when they come into season. However, there is considerable evidence that much "marish" behavior is mostly the result of humans expecting or allowing the mare to misbehave. Because horses in general are very attuned to the emotional state of their riders, expectation by a rider of difficult manners during estrus can create a self-fulfilling prophecy and a cranky mare."

I hate to think that it is just my own expectations that cause some mares to act the way they do. While there may be a slight truth to this, it raises the argument that some mares are perpetually sweet in spite of negative expectations about them. Conversely, haven't you ever just walked past an unfamiliar mare and had her pin her ears at you like you were the devil? You might not have even known she was a mare when you passed, but she sure hated you just the same!

It should be noted despite my cynicism that many mares are incredible competitors; unbelievably, consistently, and undeniably loving; and wonderful best friends to countless people. I have loved and been thankful to know several mares in my lifetime, and I look forward to loving many more. I like to joke about their quirks and temperamental nature as a comfort to my own moodiness and irritability, and I thank you for sharing your Marish Monday with me! 


And remember, no matter how marish your Monday was, at least no one bit you on the flank! (hopefully!)

No comments:

Post a Comment